Freehold, New Jersey 07728
Freehold Raceway is a half-mile racetrack in Freehold Borough, New Jersey. Established in 1853, it is the oldest harness racetrack in the United States and is located at the intersection of U.S. Route 9 and Business Route 33 in Freehold.
Freehold Raceway is the home of the Cane Pace, a harness horse race run annually since 1955. In 1956 the race joined with the Little Brown Jug and the Messenger Stakes to become the first leg in the Triple Crown of Harness Racing for Pacers.
In 1984, an electrical fire destroyed the main building. Racing was then held under tents until the new building was completed in 1985.
In 1990, the Freehold Raceway Mall opened up across the street, and is decorated with harness racing motif.
In 2005, Freehold was also the temporary home of the Yonkers Trot, part of the Triple Crown of Harness Racing for Trotters, while renovations took place at Yonkers Raceway.
The Monmouth County Agriculture Society was formed in 1853 to hold an annual fair with harness racing in the Township of Freehold. It has been researched that racing was held at the same site as early as the 1830s.